The environmental science education programme (ESEP) is implemented through inter-actions with SAEON science engagement officers, scientists and technicians. SAEON Nodes provide unique opportunities for long-term ecological research. The integration of research into the education outreach activities contributes to an improved understanding of long-term and large scale ecological processes for learners and educators.
School-based monitoring projects at schools around their nodes. These programmes give learners and educators the opportunity to develop their data literacy, statistics and data visualisation skills. They are also encouraged to use this data to design projects for science expos and competitions.
Automatic weather stations have been set up at schools. Learners are exposed to data analysis and interpretation using the data collected from their school’s weather station. The data is used as part of the regular teaching curriculum and offers a fantastic opportunity to link science to data that is relevant and localised.
Argo Floats are used by the Egagasini Node to expose learners to data analysis and interpretation. Learners utilise data from Argo Floats to conceptualise and design reaserch projects.
• Primarily encourage science skills to learners
• Create a platform where environmental science research can be integrated into the school science curriculum
• Promote an understanding and create awareness in Environmental sciences.
• Improve the quality of science teaching through teacher support programmes;
• Increase the understanding of science monitoring through schools-based programmes;
• Expose learners to science awareness programmes in order to inform, excite, motivate and attract them to careers in science;
• Integrate graduate students and scientists into the ESEP;
• Improve understanding and management of natural resources by communities;
• Drive inter-organisational and international communication, learning and collaboration;
• Develop capacity/skills and learning through effective use of external resources.